Instagram has made changes to its APIs which affect how accounts connect to other platforms such as Facebook and Dynamic Signal. Due to these changes, the Dynamic Signal platform can no longer support the following Instagram functionality:
- Importing any feed you do not own
- Connecting an Instagram user channel
- Importing a single post by permalink
While Instagram and Facebook finalize changes to their account connections, there are steps you can take to prepare for those updates. To prepare your Instagram account for eventual connection to the Dynamic Signal platform, follow these steps within the Instagram mobile app:
- Make your Instagram account a Business Account.
- Connect your Instagram account to a Facebook page.
- Ensure your Community Manager’s Facebook account is for an Administrator role on the connected Facebook page.
Convert your Instagram account to a Business Account
To convert your Instagram account to a Business Account, refer to the Facebook procedure below (hyperlink):
Connect your Instagram account to a Facebook Page
To connect your Instagram account to a Facebook page, refer to the Instagram procedure below (hyperlink):
How to Enable Instagram Access
Once Facebook finalizes its changes to account connections, you will be able to connect your Community’s Instagram accounts with Dynamic Signal. When these changes are finalized, Community Managers will be able to follow these steps to enable their Community’s Instagram accounts connection with the Dynamic Signal platform.
- Go to Content > Feeds and click New Connection (next to Instagram).
- Click Connect New Instagram Business Account to open the Oauth window.
- Log in with your Facebook credentials (if not already logged in).
- Grant Dynamic Signal access to your Instagram Business Accounts, then:
- If you don’t have any connected eligible accounts then you’ll get an error
- If you have multiple connected eligible accounts you’ll be asked to pick the correct account, then proceed to the next page.
- If you just have one connected eligible account, you’ll proceed to the next page.
- On the next page, configure Feed Settings and click Save.
Instagram Exclamation Point Issue
If a red exclamation mark “!” appears on Instagram feed profile image, this is a known issue that is caused by Facebook/Instagram randomly updating/expiring the profile picture’s URL, which essentially breaks the associated image URL within the platform. Unfortunately it’s not possible for our platform to automatically adjust to the new profile image URL due to Instagram API limitations.
At this time, the current solution to address this Instagram behaviour is to delete the existing Instagram feed and create a brand new connection with the same Instagram account.